Thursday, October 7, 2010

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

This is one of my reviews for the Banned Book Challenge. Go to the main post on StephSuReads' site here and my post discussing the challenge here.

Summary

Since the beginning of the school year, high school freshman Melinda has found that it's been getting harder and harder for her to speak out loud: "My throat is always sore, my lips raw.... Every time I try to talk to my parents or a teacher, I sputter or freeze.... It's like I have some kind of spastic laryngitis." What could have caused Melinda to suddenly fall mute? Could it be due to the fact that no one at school is speaking to her because she called the cops and got everyone busted at the seniors' big end-of-summer party? Or maybe it's because her parents' only form of communication is Post-It notes written on their way out the door to their nine-to-whenever jobs. While Melinda is bothered by these things, deep down she knows the real reason why she's been struck mute...

Laurie Halse Anderson's first novel is a stunning and sympathetic tribute to the teenage outcast. The triumphant ending, in which Melinda finds her voice, is cause for cheering (while many readers might also shed a tear or two). After reading Speak, it will be hard for any teen to look at the class scapegoat again without a measure of compassion and understanding for that person--who may be screaming beneath the silence. (courtesy of Goodreads)

Review

Speak is a difficult book to read. It is painful and haunting. Not a book to read on a day you need cheering up or on your birthday (as I learned the hard way). It is one of those books that sticks with you long after you've finished. I struggled to read Speak at the beginning, simply because it is so dark, but pretty soon I was caught up in Melinda's sad world. I ended up glued to my chair for hours at Starbucks until I finished the book.

Melinda is just starting ninth grade. After calling the cops at an end-of-summer party, she is hated by everyone, including her former best friend. The only girl who pays attention to her is Heather, a new girl who is more interested in being popular than in truly gaining Melinda's friendship. Her parents are so caught up in their own troubles, that they don't even notice their daughter struggling.

It is clear that Melinda is in a deep depression. It's like there's a sheer black veil covering her eyes - she can see and function, but everything is dark and blurry. She goes through life seeing the bad in everything, unable to enjoy even pleasant experiences. At first, we don't know why. But as the story progresses, we learn that Melinda was raped at the summer party. She has told no one, but it is always at the forefront of her mind.

The reader really gets into Melinda's head. The book is designed to make you feel as she does. Even the sentence structure, which is short and choppy, makes the book seem dark and harsh. You get hints of the fun girl Melinda once was before the party. I love her sarcastic complaints about the banalities of high school life. It broke my heart to see Melinda trying to enjoy life, but not being able to get through - you could see that she loves art, she wants to have friends, she wants to do well in school, but the depression controls her.

Speak is a frequently challenged and banned book. I can understand a parent's fear of having their child exposed to painful subjects such as rape and depression. But these topics are unfortunately all too real for many teens. Speak is a book that these teens can relate to and is also an excellent teaching tool for all teens. In the afterward to the 10th edition, Laurie Halse Anderson notes, "I have gotten one question repeatedly from young men. These are guys who liked the book, but they are honestly confused. They ask me why Melinda was so upset about being raped...I realized that many young men are not being taught the impact that sexual assault has on a young woman." Speak opens a door to discussion and knowledge that no dry lecture from a teacher can.

Rating: 4.5 / 5

11 comments:

  1. Brilliant review...I thought this was an incredibly poignant and powerful read :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! The quote from the young men is the reason why this book is so important. Speak is a powerful book that can't be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also read and loved Speak. I'm glad this guy decided to be improper and call it filth. I really wonder if the guy even read it?

    Here is a link to the Mad Scientist Speak Review:
    http://madsteampunkery.blogspot.com/2010/09/review-loudly-speak.html

    Mad Scientist

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic review! I'm definitely buying myself a copy of this to see for myself how great it is, particularly since the subject matter is hardly cheery as you say!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really loved Speak, I thought it wa powerfull, strong and well- written (I agree with you with the fact that sentences are short and choppy but that just make Melinda's charcter more real. Some authors thet write about messed up characters in the 1st POV usually forget that making their characters less belivable).
    I find insulting that guys couldn't undestand why the rape makes Melinda so depressed! Guys are raped to, eeryday, and many of they , if not all of them, are very affected by the attack.PS- PS - I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely think Speak is a powerful, powerful book. I had an 8th grade student say that she thinks every teen girl should read it. She found it that important and meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just read this for Banned Books Week as well. I loved Melinda's voice -- she had me laughing a little at some points -- and her story was extremely powerful. It's so important to have books like this available to teens who can benefit from them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice review! I have been needing to read this one for a while now. I can't believe young men don't get how terrible rape really is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was surprisingly uplifting when you consider the situation of the protagonist's life. Funny, unforgettable one liners galore in here. Even though it was a quick read, it caught me. Definitely worth your money.

    Mica
    Best Reviews for Austin Towing

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. I appreciate every one! Thank you in advance.

This blog is now an award free zone. I just don't have time to pass on the awards as they deserve.