Thursday, October 14, 2010

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Summary

Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie's always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.

Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.

Review

I can't recommend Paranormalcy highly enough. It's one of my favorite discoveries all year long. The book hooked me from the first page. Evie works for the IPCA, an international organization that registers and controls paranormal creatures. She has the ability to see through glamours and recognize paranormals for what they are. This makes her vital to the IPCA. She's lived with them since she was 7 or 8 when they rescued her from foster care. She brings in paranormals to the IPCA, subduing them with her beloved Tasey. It's an exciting life, but Evie longs to be a normal teenager. She obsesses over a high school TV soap opera and glamorizes even the most simple facets of school life, such as lockers. Even though Evie has lots of friends and a caretaker at the IPCA, she is extremely lonely.

The IPCA is troubled by recent deaths of paranormals. At the same time, a mysterious paranormal ends up within the IPCA compound, overtaking several agents. Evie forms a friendship with him. Lend has the fascinating ability to instantly shape shift into any other person, clothes and all. As their friendship grows and the threat from the IPCA becomes stronger, Evie must question everything. Who or what is she? Who cares about her? What is the purpose of the IPCA?

I love the relationship between Lend and Evie. He's a great "leading guy," a nice friendly boy that any girl would love to bring home to her parents. It's nice to see that they become friends before their relationship becomes anything more. I also enjoyed the complexity of Evie's relationship with Raquel, who plays a mother role, but also doesn't, leaving Evie somewhat directionless. My only complaint about the characters or relationships in the book is Evie's connection to Vivian. I understand what it is, but I didn't emotionally relate to it as well as the others.

The plotting in Paranormalcy is fabulous. I was surprised to see a huge plot climax occur only halfway through the book. I'd assumed the entire book was going to be based on the initial plot arc, but Kiersten had lots more in store for us. There were so many different pieces to the story that I never got bored and always looked forward to the next page.

Rating: 4.5 / 5

9 comments:

  1. I loved this books! Such a great and refreshing read. Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one as well and I completely agree with you on the Evie/Lend relationship, I loved that they weren't instantaneously in love with one another but were rather cute and awkward. I can't wait for book 2! Great review:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, I can't wait to read this book! Thanks for a great review. If you get a chance, check out my new giveaway: http://booksinthespotlight.blogspot.com/2010/10/i-heart-ya-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved it too! I'm actually giving away a copy on my blog if anyone is interested: http://lisagalek.blogspot.com/2010/10/october-contest-win-paranormalcy.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read so many positive reviews about this book--I'll have to check it out!

    Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, this has been on my to-read list for far too long. Reading your review just encouraged me to move it up to the top of the list. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am SO glad to read that you highly recommend this book. I have ordered it from B + N and it is arriving tomorrow. Yay face!

    The romance sounds extremely realistic and I love that the plot seems varied. I can't wait! Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been reading great reviews about this lately! I am really going to have to buy it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fans of lighter YA paranormal should really enjoy. There is nothing tawdry or overly mature in the book, so younger teens are fine. Fans of Jackson Pearce, Bree Despain and Kelley Armstrong's The Summoning Series should enjoy.

    Mica
    Best Reviews for Alaska Real Estate website

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. I appreciate every one! Thank you in advance.

This blog is now an award free zone. I just don't have time to pass on the awards as they deserve.