Sunday, October 24, 2010

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

I posted my review of Mockingjay and then realized that I forgot to post my review of Catching Fire. Whoops. You can read about my disappointment with Mockingjay here.

Summary

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

Review

I don't like dystopias. It is my least favorite genre of literature. Despite this, I love the Hunger Games series. I put off reading Catching Fire for a long time, choosing instead to read books in genres I preferred. But I wanted to read Mockingjay, so I had to read Catching Fire. At first, the book was a bit of a chore, not because it was uninteresting, but because the oppressiveness of the government depressed me.

A year after Katniss and Peeta's unexpected joint win of the Hunger Games, life has returned somewhat to normal for Katniss. She's more wealthy now, but still goes out to hunt with Gale every Sunday. Her relationships with Gale and Peeta are suffering though. They are both in love with her. She is not in love with either of them; she doesn't really know what she feels. Katniss and Peeta take a brief detour from their home lives by going on the Victory Tour, a required publicity stunt through each district. There, they realize that citizen discontent is simmering and rapidly rising to a boil. Life after the victory tour quickly becomes more difficult as the government will do anything and everything to keep its citizens in check.

Catching Fire is anything but hard to read. Even though I hadn't read Hunger Games in a few years, I was immediately familiar with Katniss's world. Collins does a great job of getting you up to speed without feeling like the first few chapters are just a recap. The book is full of action, one painful cliff hanger after another. The book never feels like it's dragging. When there isn't a heartpounding moment of action, you're reading about the details of Katniss's fashion and make-up or experiencing every day life in her village. The Hunger Games fantasy world is richly described. Even without all the action, Katniss's world would make a fascinating book.

I love all the characters in this series. Katniss is a three-dimensional character. We see so many of her flaws. She is uncomfortable, awkward, and doesn't allow people in. She often seems to survive on dumb luck alone. But she is also fiercely loyal to her family and friends, brave, smart, and ultimately, good. In Hunger Games, I was thoroughly Team Gale. Now, I am Team Peeta. He is just so wonderful, kind, smart, well-spoken. He is everything that awkward Katniss is not; they play off one another perfectly. But you really can't go wrong with Gale either. Katniss has two fabulous guys to choose from, which makes her life even more difficult. The secondary characters are drawn well. Haymitch is a hardened drunk who is a brilliant and protective mentor when he's sober. Katniss's prep crew are hilarious, yet also far smarter and more knowledgeable than they appear on the surface. I especially like Cinna.

Catching Fire is a fabulous book that causes me to forget that I hate dystopias. I cannot wait for Mockingjay.

Rating: 4.5 / 5

12 comments:

  1. You're invited to come read about the magic.

    www.themagiciansseries.blogspot.com

    Hope to see you there!
    --Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review, Alison :) I really loved Catching Fire...I thought it was an incredibly deep read...I hope you're not disappointed by Mockingjay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Cinna as well! He was such a great character. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the book. :)


    Yup, Strand was overwhelming. Couldn't figure out how the store was organized at first!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have yet to meet a person who has not enjoyed this series. I just recently won the whole series and I'm patiently waiting for it in my mailbox!

    I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. Sounds interesting. I think I'll be picking this up. Following and looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catching Fire was a decent book, but of the three in the series I think The Hunger Games was the strongest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There seem to be lots of reviews of Mockingjay on the blogs but, rather strangely, a lot less of Catching Fire. It's just as well you read them in the right order as I'm sure you would not have read Catching Fire if you had read Mockingjay first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my favorite book of the series! I'm so glad you liked it. I love Peeta AND Gale LOL Either of them could work for Katniss, but I found myself sighing with satisfaction when she made her choice in Mockingjay, though I don't want to talk about it here because it'll spoil the book for some people :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love this series:) I agree with what you said about Katniss, she's strong and flawed and all the more interesting for it. I have to say I'm thoroughly Team Peeta:) Looking forward to your review of Mockingjay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Catching Fire was my favorite out of the series!! I changed from a Team Gale to a Team Peeta girl in this one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think my favourite will always be the first, but I loved Catching Fire and Mockingjay as well. This is a fantastic review, and I 100% agree about Katniss' character :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. I appreciate every one! Thank you in advance.

This blog is now an award free zone. I just don't have time to pass on the awards as they deserve.